Feb 18, 2008

Asking for a Blessing?

Now I want to pose a question.

How many of you (or your fiance's) asked her(your) father's permission (or more commonly) his blessing before you proposed?

In this day and age this custom has seemed to go by the wayside. I know I was torn between the tradition my father taught me and the new customs. I finally did ask for his blessing, over a sausage pizza with a baseball game on the television. The funny thing is my fiancee set it up for me and was upstairs cleaning, while I was twiddling away downstairs.

It was great, I knew I was there to ask. He knew it too. And yet we made it through two hours of watching a game neither of us cared about to get to the actual question.

I broke the ice by saying:
Me: I have a very important question to ask you
Him: Well
Me: Do you like peanut butter?

This was followed by a intense debate of the quality of Peanut Butter, including brands and the important Chunky vs. Smooth debate.

I thought I was lost. And then I decided to say.

"I want to be the one who buys your daughter her peanut butter, for the rest of her life!"

"Does she approve?"

"Well I think she will"

So the moral of the story is asking for your Future Father-in-Laws blessing is important. Just remember to actually ask him straight or he will toy with your emotions just for the fun of it. Oh and if you have daughter remember this story and feel free to use it.

--Mickey

More Groom's Guide Articles


2 comments:

weddingwhirlwind said...

Hi there! I just got your comment for our blog, http://weddingwhirlwind.wordpress.com. Thanks for stopping by, I love your blog as well. This post reminded me of my fiance -- he asked permission too -- that installments is coming up in the next few days!

Anonymous said...

Haha, that is probably the best story I've read on someone asking the brides father. Congrats!